Thursday 29 September 2011

Second Moment Assignment ~Anonymous

Over the past few weeks, I had started looking forward to visiting my dad less and less.


It was because, two months after seperating with my mom and moving back to the States, he'd gotten himself a girlfriend (who I liked more than I liked my dad) and moved in with her.


He'd changed.


With these thoughts clouding my mind, I trudged to the car, following Torrie, halfheartedly opened the door and clambered inside.


I stared absently at him as he started the car, and then as he attempted an awkward conversation about how school was going for me, which, disappointingly, involved me having to inform him that I was in fourth grade.


Seeing that the previous dialogue was quickly fizzling out into oblivion, he tried to change the subject, "So... What's new with you?" I could hear the tension in his voice, like he was putting off telling me something I needed to know.


It was frustrating, to say the least.


"I have a boyfriend," I informed him, not really wanting to make a big deal out of it.


"Well, then... What kind of... Boyfriend/girlfriend activities do you two do?"


"Uh... We went to a movie with my mom... I think we held hands once... Wait- what was that supposed to mean?"


"... Never mind."


We drove in complete silence for what seemed like forever.


For almost the entire ride, I stayed almost utterly still, with my eyes glued to the window, lost in my thoughts.


My dad coughed.


I looked at him expectantly.


"Amy's pregnant." He said it like it was nothing.


My mind reeled, and I was lost for words for a good minute, overcome with emotions that I felt shouldn't have been mine.


When my brain started working again, I asked the first question I could think of, "Is it a boy or a girl?"


"Girl."


"I thought so."


"Why?"


"I'm a girl, aren't I?"


"Yes, but what's that got to do with-"


"You have girl sperm."


He stopped talking.


I turned on the radio and went back to staring out the window, desperately hoping my father couldn't see the tears streaming down my face.

1 comment:

  1. It was awesome! I like the end I almost started crying myself. Ps I know who posted this and having heard your story in such fantastic detail shed a new light on the relationship between you and your family...
    ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete